Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Rwanda(dream)

Rwanda. The Olympics are being held there because there has been some radical political change. It is one of the richest countries, modern and clean...with military police with automatic weapons on every corner.

I am there as a journalist, the only western journalist, to cover the Olympics. Instead of covering the Olympics I meet up with the leader of a revolutionary movement and she says she'll give me an interview and a look at the real Rwanda...

We drive and she points out labor camps, execution spots, police beating citizens. She shows me the rebel villages where people live in self-government. They are happy. 

Back in the city we are overlooking a McDonalds, and she says to me:

"We don't want this. We don't want new, we want old. We don't need money, we need our life."

No comments:

Post a Comment